14 november 2006

gay animals

Who's saying that homosexuality is against nature?



An article in magazine Nature (October 26, 2006, pg. 895)
called "Snapshot: But is it natural?" by Alison Abbott and the recent exhibition "Against nature" in the Naturhistorisk Museum in Oslo proofs the opposite.

"We hope to reject the all too well known argument that homosexual behaviour is a crime against nature"

<Oslo Natural History Museum>




Sex in general between animals (as between humans) is often a matter of enjoyment, rather than reproduction, and that this applies to animals of the same sex as well as opposite sexes. Homosexuality has been observed among 1500 species.


"Our closest relatives

Humans belong to the primates together with two species of chimpanzees, gorilla, orang-utan, siamang and gibbons. Homosexuality is known from all groups, but there are great variations between species regarding gender, age and frequency, and even from group to group within the species. Compared to the other apes, human homosexuality is neither extremely frequent, nor particularly rare, and in our species too, the practice varies from one culture to the next

Against nature?
The Church Council of Nablus in 1120 AD wrote the first law where homosexuality was labelled a “Crime against Nature”. In the Renaissance, such texts found their way into the laws of many countries, leading to widespread oppression against homosexuality on the basis that it is “unnatural”.

We may have opinions on a lot of things, but one thing is clear: Homosexuality is found throughout the Animal Kingdom. It is not against nature."

<Oslo Natural History Museum>

:-)


Labels:

5 Comments:

Blogger Pino said...

That's why I'm going to Oslo in 2 weeks ;)

12:27  
Blogger Jörg said...

I thought you knew already... So why bother and see the exhibition?

21:10  
Blogger Pino said...

It was a joke :D
Actually, I guess I have just the time to visit the National Gallery...

00:30  
Blogger Jörg said...

I know it was a joke sweetie, I was joking as well! But seriously if you have time to see the exhibition you should do it. I think it might be really interesting. Tell me all about it!

00:57  
Blogger Pino said...

Now that I'm aware of this exibition I could maybe try to go and see it.
If so, I will let you know, maybe with a post on my blog...

09:34  

Een reactie posten

<< Home