02 juni 2009

Grand Canyon

Yesterday we spent nearly all day on the South rim of the Grand Canyon. James had never seen the Grand Canyon though he had lived pretty much around it in the last few years (Las Vegas, Grand Junction and Phoenix). I myself had visited the North rim 11 years ago and as far as I remember it was not as spectacular as the what I have seen yesterday.

Spectacular, let me go on with that word, because Grand Canyon is unimaginable BIG: 15 to 20 km wide and 1600 m deep must be called spectacular. On the other hand it is more then I can comprehend. A cliff that is only 300 m high in Canyon de Chelly, has a deeper impact on me since the canyon is narrower. I know it shouldn't make any sense but that's how it feels for me the second time in my live. Don't get me wrong I really liked what I have seen yesterday, I just wanted to describe how my eyes and brains can play tricks with me.