30 januari 2011

Let 'm roll

I saw my first 6 films some we nice some were mysterious and some were confusing. 
Yesterday I saw 3 of those 6 movies together with my festival friend Herman. Funny thing is that although he lives in Amsterdam, I see him once every year at the most: at the IFFR. There are years that we can't meet because he is here on other days then I am or one of us is not here in Rotterdam at all. 

About the movies now: I saw  "Curling" a Canadian movie not about the sport Curling but about a man who wants to protect his 12 year old daughter by isolating her form the outside world. The result is that they live in rural Quebec, where he is home schooling her, they have no tv and the biggest treat is listening to some music when she does something right.  Little by little the man is able to open up the closed system. Very oppressive atmosphere. Not the kind of movie that makes you leave the cinema in a happy mood.