13 november 2007

Mir wëlle bleiwe wat mir sin

Last weekend I made it to d' Groussherzogtum Lëtzebuerg or in English to Luxembourg. The journey to Luxembourg was an adventure of it's own. Though it is only a little more then 400 km and my navigation system thought that the trip would take like 4,5 hours, it took me more then 6 hours.

I left Zwolle at 12.30 h and all went well to Arnhem. From there I had traffic jams between Arnhem and Nijmegen, around Venlo, around and in Maastricht and in Liège. But the worst thing was then just about to happen. Once I had crossed the river Amblève in the Ardennes I saw some white stuff on the ground. It occurred to me that it might be snow. And while I was still enjoying the early white gift from the clouds it started to snow. A few kilometer further I found myself in a big snowstorm. At the highest elevation of the road near Baraque de Fraiture the snow was accumulating on the pavement and I could hardly see further then 100 m. It was quite scary but I finally made it in one piece to Luxembourg. The place I had visited before 25 years ago, and that didn't catch me back then.

Alain, my host did everything to make me feel comfortable and to show me around in his city. Needles to say that we stopped for a coffee and some pastries during the big tour. D E L I C I O U S ! ! ! In the patisserie we also bought some Luxembourg specialty: Paté de Riesling, that we had as a starter for the dinner, that we were about to cook in the evening.

The weekend was extremely relaxing, Alain was a perfect host and I can't thank him enough for having me over.